Monday, September 30, 2013

We need Austria-type stringent norms on mobile towers: Juhi Chawla

We need Austria-type stringent norms on mobile towers: Juhi Chawla

Monday, Sep 30, 2013, 7:39 IST | Agency: DNA

From being a successful actress, Juhi Chawla, 45, has emerged as a crusader. For the past three years, she has been leading a campaign to create awareness about the dangers of mobile tower radiations. In an interview with dna City Editor S Balakrishnan, she spoke about her campaign. Excerpts:

Juhi Chawla

Juhi Chawla

How did you get into this campaign against mobile tower radiation?


Well... I live in Malabar Hill, bang opposite Sahyadri guest house...Three years ago my husband Jay called me out to the balcony and pointed out to the 14 cellphone towers atop the guest house and wondered how safe they were. Honestly, I had no clue. He asked me if I could do some research and find out the answer. I promptly went to the Internet and  what I discovered shocked me. I have been living with my family in the direct line of powerful radiation from 14 cellphone towers. 

The reality hit me. I told myself that it would be a crime to keep quiet after knowing the dangers of this radiation. I wrote letters to the chief minister and BMC commissioner. I was fighting a lone battle. It was then that my neighbour Prakash Munshi joined me. We went to Sahyadri Guest House and asked the staff if they have permission for all these towers. We discovered that they had permission from the Public Works Department (PWD) for only one tower. 

We then decided to sensitise our neighbours about the issue. We put up a few banners and started our campaign. As luck would have it, several journalists had gathered at the guest house. When they saw us, they crossed over to our side and asked what our campaign was all about. When the media highlighted our campaign, we received tremendous response. I am happy to inform you that the 13 illegal towers have been removed from atop the guest house. Still as a matter of precaution, I have put radiation shields in my bungalow. I want every Indian to be aware of the dangers of this radiation and take necessary precautions. Hence this campaign.



So do I take it that you are not basically against mobile phones or mobile phone companies?

Certainly not. Mobile phones have their uses for communication. But if they are used indiscriminately and unthinkingly then we will have an entire population over a billion who are at risk. The radiation from cellular phone towers certainly affect our health. I am not saying that throw out all cellphone towers. All that I am demanding is stringent norms for mobile towers. Austria has some of the world’s most stringent norms for cellphone tower radiation. Why can’t we have that? Why can’t our government have the same concern for the health of its people as the Austrian government has for its citizens?


Union minister of state for telecom and SoBo MP Milind Deora says that the norms prescribed by his ministry for cellphone tower radiation is 10 times more stringent than what has been prescribed by the World Health Organisation. Isn’t that reassuring?

We did meet Milind and explained our concerns to him. The issue is that even the prescribed norms are not adequate. Also, the ground reality is very different. My team has gone with radiation measuring meters and the results are highly disconcerting. We need to have a limit to the number of towers that can be put up atop a building. It should be a strict “no, no” when it comes to schools and hospitals. Also the distance between a tower and buildings in the neighbourhood needs to be laid down. Most importantly, we need to get the cellphone companies to invest in the latest technology like the one adapted in the US, which renders radiations less riskier. We should get the companies to pump in money on relatively safe technology. 



Are you suggesting a restriction on the use of mobile phones?

Mobile phones are here to stay. I would like to appeal to the users to take a few precautions. Ideally, whenever a handset is sold, the company should give out literature recommending safe usage practices. That is not being done now. The government should insist on that. But, from our side, we should always prefer to use a landline if it is around to make a call. The second precaution is do not keep your mobile phone close to your ear soon after you dial a number. 

The moment you dial a number, a whole lot of radio activity is triggered. So keep the phone a little away from your ear while the call is being connected. Ideally, I would favour an increase in call charges which will compel people to reduce cellphone usage. Today it costs only a few paise per call which is why the usage is indiscriminate. The increased revenue received by the mobile firms after the call charges are raised should be ploughed back to upgrade technology to increase safety norms.

No comments:

Post a Comment