Q. A wireless bunker sounds a little drastic. What prompted you to carve out the space?
A. Probably 80 percent of our business is on the web. At the same time that technology was helping our business, for me, personally, I felt like I was becoming a computer. It seemed like I had one either in my ear or stuck in my face for most of the day. If I spent a little time in that room, I wondered, what impact would it have on my daily life?
How have you furnished the room?
It’s minimal and functional. I have a wood stove. I have a big slab of oak where I can chop wood. I have a huge G.E. fridge, probably from the ’50s. I have a funky eight-track with an AM-FM radio. I just play the radio. I’ve got a couple of lamps in there. I’ve got a sofa, a few chairs and a coffee table.
You’re escaping from smartphones and computers, not modern life. Why not buy a new fridge and install electric or gas heat? 
It’s how they designed refrigerators then: how the handle works, the care that went into it, even the look of the G.E. logo.
The wood stove means it takes a certain amount of preparation to be in that room in the winter. You can’t just pop in for a meeting. I like that I can slow down for a second and do this menial task that is going to provide comfort.
How much time do you spend in there?
I’d say two or three hours, two or three days a week, on average. We have an adviser to the company, Mel. Our meetings are usually in that room. They’re really productive. I meet friends down there, too. Like an old friend, it’s so nice to meet them in that room. I won’t show just anyone that room.
Have you found that you think more clearly there?
Sometimes. I started to become more productive, and I think it helps my creativity. But sometimes I don’t think at all. I just lay back. Be. I think I’m more present in that room.
What’s been the response from your employees? Do they abide this digital dead zone?
There were a few people who thought it was weird. Those are the people I don’t want to hang with, anyway. My wife works here. She just rolls her eyes.
Right away I learned I had to establish ground rules. One guy came by here and he’s a total Portland hipster guy. His phone rang three times. He was a guy seeking me out because he wanted to pick my brain and here he’s taking calls. I thought later about writing him a handwritten note.