Saturday, June 13, 2015



The Air Force is ready to embrace EMP as the status quo of future warfare
‘Mature’ EMP Weapon Ready for War: “Render Enemy’s Electronics, Data Systems Useless”

While governments and the Pentagon are increasingly talking up the need to protect the sensitive power grid and brace for the impact of a potential electromagnetic pulse (EMP) incident, which could come naturally from a solar flare or via an attack by a foreign entity, the Air Force is ready to embrace EMP as the status quo of future warfare.

The Air Force Research Laboratory has been working with Boeing for several years on the perfection, miniaturization and deployment of its Counter-electronics High-powered Advanced Missile Project (CHAMP), which has already been in the arsenal, but which will become increasingly central to the armed forces.

The U.S. Air Force’s confirmation that they and Boeing are developing the Counter-electronics High-powered Advanced Missile Project (CHAMP), an electro-magnetic pulse (EMP) weapon, that essentially uses microwave energy to render useless all electronics in its “blast” area without causing structural damage, trended all over the Internet last month

“This technology marks a new era in modern-day warfare,” said Keith Coleman, Boeing Phantom Works’ CHAMP Program Manager in a Boeing video on the CHAMP test in 2012. “In the near future, this technology may be used to render an enemy’s electronic and data systems useless even before the first troops or aircraft arrive.”

Here’s a video simulation of CHAMP in action, including proud statements from its creators on its powerful effect during tests to use directed energy to neutralize a modern urban environment:
In their test, the electromagnetic attack took out all the computers and other electronic equipment in the office without creating any structural damage, which would have rendered most populations and many enemies helpless in a real world conflict scenario.

In 2012, CHAMP lead test engineer, Peter Finlay, said, “Today we made science fiction science fact.”

Though there are ways to guard against an EMP attack, it essentially amounts to an instant checkmate for anyone who is not prepared.

Lights out may largely translate to game over in future scenarios… bringing the masses to their knees.
That is what the Air Force is eyeing, and why it is (pardon the unfortunate pun) championing CHAMP in its public relations efforts.

Miniaturization and stealth deployment will give U.S. forces the edge, while similar weapons are already in the hands of rival powers and even rogue players.
[Flight Global reporter James Drew] reported that Masiello said the technology is mature and will be miniaturized for the JASSM-ER.

CHAMP is “an operational system already in our tactical air force, and that is really what will make us more operationally relevant.

There is little doubt that such an attack could be crippling, as many experts in the U.S. have warned. As the Inquisitr reports:

United States EMP Commission statement about the domino effect an EMP attack would have on the United States.

“The primary avenues for catastrophic damage to the nation are through our electric power infrastructure and thence into our telecommunications, energy, and other infrastructures. These, in turn, can seriously impact other important aspects of our nation’s life, including the financial system; means of getting food, water, and medical care to the citizenry; trade; and production of goods and services. The recovery of any one of the key national infrastructures is dependent on the recovery of others.”

But are its devastating effects against civil populations – even in declared wars – fair game? And how long until such an attack threatens the population here at home?

No car, TV, laptop, lights or trips to the shops: meet the woman who says she's allergic to electronics

No car, TV, laptop, lights or trips to the shops: meet the woman who says she's allergic to electronics

Faith Eckersall /  / News

Smart meter rollout 'needs private sector input'


Smart meter rollout 'needs private sector input'

By Joe Lynam
Business correspondent, BBC News

       13 June 2015
 From the section 

A smart meter

The UK-wide rollout of smart meters needs to be run by someone outside of government, the company set up to promote the project has said.
The UK-wide rollout of smart meters needs to be run by someone outside of government, the company set up to promote the project has said.

By 2020 every home should have a digital meter, which communicates directly with energy suppliers and can allow more efficient energy usage.

Smart Energy GB said government was "not good" at such projects and warned it it could cost more than the budgeted £11bn without private sector input.

The government has rejected the call.

Olympic delivery
The last Labour government announced plans in 2009 for every home in Britain to be installed with smart meters, which the government and energy firms believe could lead to savings of an estimated £17bn.

But Smart Energy GB fears that with 1.6 million of the proposed 26 million smart meters currently installed, the timetable could slip and end up costing consumers more than the budgeted £11bn.

Baroness Margaret McDonagh, the chairman of Smart Energy GB, said that the installation of smart meters throughout the UK was a giant infrastructure project, and was similar in scope to the building of the HS2 rail line and the Olympic venues. 

"As we know from experience, governments are not good at big infrastructure projects because it's not their business," she said. 

"To do these things well, you need to be doing them all the time. When a body can focus on these things with a date in mind - like the Olympic delivery - they can achieve it on time and on budget."

She is calling for the government to appoint a chief executive from the private sector to run the project.

But the Department for Energy and Climate Change (DECC) has rejected the idea.
"Last year, an independent review on the smart meters programme backed the current delivery model, which is going to deliver the benefits of smart meters at the lowest possible cost to billpayers," said a spokesperson for the DECC.

It is hoped that smart meters will encourage consumers to be more selective on how they use energy by choosing, for example, to run the washing machine at a time when electricity charges are lower. 

In the near future this will be even easier as the "internet of things" takes hold. This means new devices will come onto the market which will communicate with the smart meter and switch themselves on and off at the most energy efficient times.

But apart from consumers saving money, the biggest winners from the nationwide installation of smart meters will be energy companies themselves. 

That is because the current analogue systems prevent the efficient distribution of energy to our homes. More electricity is allocated for each home on the off-chance that it will be needed. With smart meters, the power will only come from the grid, the moment it is actually required.

But smart meters are expensive and time consuming to install in every single household in Britain. About 6% of the total number of homes have a smart meter already. 

To achieve the full 100% and meet the Conservative party election promise, a massive ramp up in the installation process will have to start immediately.

Melbourne doctor fears link between mobile phone use and brain cancer

Melbourne doctor fears link between mobile phone use and brain cancer

From Stop Smart Meters Australia:


Melbourne doctor fears link between mobile phone use and brain cancer

Posted on June 13, 2015 by Stop Smart Meters Australia

A leading Melbourne doctor is blaming mobile phones for an escalation in brain cancer.
Dr John Tickell has fought his own cancer battle and claims radiation is the link.
He says it should be a wake up call for anyone who uses a mobile phone.

Dr Tickell was a on a flight from Sydney to Melbourne when he suffered a seizure. A subsequent brain scan revealed five tumours; one was the size of a golf ball.

“It’s maybe the scariest words you’ll ever hear, ‘you have brain cancer’,” Dr Tickell said.

Now in remission, Dr Tickell believes radiation is a significant contributing factor to the increasing rate in brain tumours.


Read the post here.

Thursday, June 11, 2015

Cell phone industry files suit against Berkeley's warning notice ordinance

Cell phone industry files suit against Berkeley's warning notice ordinance

By Tom Lochner
POSTED:   06/09/2015 01:31:22 PM PDT2 COMMENTS| UPDATED:   27 DAYS AGO

BERKELEY -- An industry group represented by one of the nation's most prominent attorneys has sued Berkeley in federal court, seeking to topple the city's recently enacted ordinance mandating disclosure of possible radiation hazards associated with use of cellphones.
CTIA -- The Wireless Association, represented by Theodore Olson of Washington, D.C.-based law firm Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher, argues that forcing sellers and lessors of cellphones to warn customers of the supposed radiation hazards of the devices violates retailers' First Amendment rights by "conscripting" them to proclaim a message with which they disagree. Moreover, the suit argues, the ordinance is pre-empted by federal law because it infringes on the federal government's authority to regulate the industry.
The ordinance, unanimously approved by the Berkeley City Council on May 12 and confirmed on May 26, would require a notice to people buying or leasing cellphones that would read in part:
"If you carry or use your phone in a pants or shirt pocket or tucked into a bra when the phone is ON and connected to a wireless network, you may exceed the federal guidelines for exposure to RF (radio frequency) radiation." 
"This potential risk is greater for children," the notice continues, adding that consumers should check their user manuals for how to use the phones safely.
Berkeley City Attorney Zach Cowan on Tuesday said the city has no comment on pending litigation.

Olson was solicitor general under President George W. Bush from 2001 to 2004. In late 2000, Olson represented then-candidate Bush before the U.S. Supreme Court, which stopped a recount of votes in Florida, effectively delivering victory to Bush in the presidential campaign over Al Gore. Later, Olson challenged California's Proposition 8, which banned same-sex marriage in 2008. Prop. 8 eventually was overturned in U.S. District Court.
The CTIA suit says Berkeley's ordinance amounts to "compelled speech" that "is not only scientifically baseless and alarmist, but ... also contradicts the federal government's determination that cellphones approved for sale in the United States, however worn, are safe for everyone." It warns that if allowed to stand, it will lead to a "crazy-quilt of tens of thousands of inconsistent 'disclosure' obligations around the country."
Councilman Max Anderson, who co-sponsored the ordinance with Councilman Kriss Worthington, said Tuesday that Berkeley anticipated the lawsuit and that the CTIA's First Amendment argument is spurious and without merit.
"The CTIA, like the NRA, will litigate any measures that seek to protect consumers from their product," Anderson said.
Lawrence Lessig, a law professor and director of the Edmund J. Safra Center for Ethics at Harvard University, told the council on May 12 that he is increasingly concerned that the First Amendment is being used by corporations as a bullying tool.
He referred to several recent national and international scientific studies, and an appeal submitted to the United Nations World Health Organization, that raise concern over the effects of increased exposure to electromagnetic fields generated by electric and wireless devices such as cellphones, cordless phones, base stations, Wi-Fi, broadcast antennas, smart meters, baby monitors and other devices that generate an extremely low-frequency electromagnetic field. Lessig has offered to provide legal advice to the city and defend the ordinance pro bono.
Contact Tom Lochner at 510-262-2760. Follow him at